Far be it from me to turn my back on potatoes but every so often one has to try something out of their comfort zone.
To clarify, my comfort zone is a lounge chair made of mashed potato.
For the base:
1 brown onion, finely chopped
2 medium carrots, diced small
2 ribs of celery, diced small
1/4 cup frozen peas
2 cups of shredded kale
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tin of brown lentils, drained and rinsed (or 1 cup cooked brown lentils)
3/4 cup vegetable stock
1 Tbsp. vegan Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp dijon mustard
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
1 Tbsp. thyme
1 tsp. sage
1 tsp. rosemary
1. Heat some olive oil in a medium pot and add in the onion, celery and carrot. Sweat over a low-medium heat until they begin to soften, about 6-8 minutes.
2. Add in the garlic and cook for a further minute or two.
3. Toss in the dried herbs, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, tomato paste and stock and stir everything. Simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Add in the kale and peas and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
For the Mash:
2 heaped cups of cauliflower florets
1 tin of butter beans, rinsed
Large pinch of white pepper
Large pinch of ground nutmeg
2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
1. Steam or boil cauliflower florets for about 8 minutes until tender.
2. Drain the cauliflower and transfer to a food processor alongside the beans and seasoning. Blend until smooth. If the mixture seems a little dry add a tablespoon of olive oil.
Assembly and cooking
1. Preheat the oven to 425ºF/220ºC/Gas mark 7.
2. Pour the lentil mixture into the bottom of the ovenproof dish. Spoon over the mash and smooth out in an even layer.
3. Cover with tinfoil and place in the oven for 25 minutes before removing the foil and returning to the oven for a further 10 minutes.