Monkey bread is a large type of pull-apart cinnamon bun traditionally served to smaller primates on the eve of their birthday. The pull-apart nature of the cake facilitates tearing bits off and throwing them at other lesser primates who are not celebrating their birthday. The stickiness makes for difficult cleanup.
Note: if you are not au fait with aquafaba, it’s the liquid drained from a tin of chickpeas or white beans
(Makes 1 large bundt cake)
For the Dough
1 packet of instant yeast
¼ cup warm water
1 ¼ cups warm non-dairy milk
1/3 cup non-dairy margarine, melted
¼ cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup aquafaba (see note)
1.5 tsp. salt
5 cups strong bread flour plus extra for kneading
1. Add the yeast and water to a large mixing bowl and set aside for a few minutes.
2. Place the butter and milk in a small saucepan and melt together over a low heat.
3. Add the melted butter to the mixing bowl and whisk together with the sugar, aquafaba and salt.
4. Sieve in 4 cups of the flour, mixing together by hand or with the dough hook attachment on an electric mixer. Gradually add in the fifth cup until a firm dough is formed.
5. Lightly flour your work surface and tip out the dough onto it. Knead for about 5 minutes until the dough becomes elastic.
6. Lightly brush a large bowl with oil and place the dough ball inside, brushing the dough with oil also. Cover with cling film and leave to rise for 1-2 hours or until the dough has doubled in size.
1 cup of whole pecans or walnuts, toasted then chopped
1/2 cup margarine, melted
1 1/3 cups light soft brown sugar
1.5 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
7. Grease a bundt pan and add in a handful of the chopped nuts.
8. Knock the air out of it by kneading a few times. Form the dough into balls about 1 inch or so in diameter.
9. Dip the dough balls a few at a time in the melted margarine, then roll in the spiced sugar mixture to coat fully.
10. Add one layer to the bottom of the bundt pan, then throw in the remaining nuts. continue to layer up the dough balls until the bundt tin is full.
11. Cover in cling film and leave aside to rise for 45 minutes – 1 hour.
12. Pre heat the oven to 350ºf/180ºc/gas mark 4. Bake the bread for 35-40 minutes.
13. Remove the bundt pan from the oven and allow cool for 10n minutes, then turn out onto a serving dish. Allow to cool for a further 30 minutes before glazing.
For the glaze
1 cup confectioners sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 Tbsp. non-dairy milk
Pinch of cinnamon
Whisk all ingredients together and drizzle over the cooled cake. The monkey bread can be served by either pulling apart or slicing. Best served on the same day as baking!