Buffalo Quinoa Burgers
Ingredients (makes 4-5 burgers)
1/2 cup dry quinoa
1 tin of butter beans, drained and mashed
1/2 a yellow bell pepper, finely diced
2 shallots, finely diced
1 clove of garlic, minced
3/4 cup porridge oats
1 Tbsp flax meal
1/3 cup Franks Buffalo Wings Hot Sauce
1 tbsp. chopped oregano
salt and pepper
Burger buns, salad and condiments, to serve, plus LOADS of extra buffalo sauce
1. Place the quinoa in a pot of water and simmer for about 20 minutes or according to packet instructions.
2. In the meantime, whisk the flax meal in a small bowl with the hot sauce and leave to stand.
3. In a baking bowl, mash the butter beans until they are just about broken down and still a little chunky.
4. Place the oats in a food processor and pulse a few times to make a coarse flour.
5. Chop the vegetables and add to the bowl of mashed beans along with the herbs, salt and pepper and flax seed/hot sauce. Once the quinoa is cooked and cooled down a little, stir into the mixture until everything is incorporated.
6. Divide the mixture into 4 or 5 balls and squash into patty shapes. Place on a baking sheet and cook in the oven for 30 minutes at 400ºF/200ºC/Gas mark 6, flipping over after 15 minutes.
7. Serve the burgers on fresh buns with your favourite toppings (I used guac, salad, hot sauce and sweet potato fries).