I saw this type of cookie a few times on the internet and apparently it’s from some New York milk bar, but seeing as I neither drink milk nor frequent New York I figured that trying my hand at making them myself would be a nifty experiment. Experiments which end in the production of cookies are generally worthwhile, especially if those cookies contain chocolate chips, marshmallows and corn flakes.
As vegan mini mallows are not widely available in Dublin, I used Freemallows cut into thirds. You can get them in a handful of health food shops around the city including The Health Store on the top floor of Dundrum Town Centre (last time I checked). I cut them into thirds to make mini-mallows. I’ve also heard rumors that Holland & Barrett on Grafton St. have vegan mini mallows.
Choc Chip, Cornflake and Marshmallow Cookies
Ingredients (Makes 16)
2 cups of plain flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1/3 cup cornflakes, slightly crushed
3/4 cup vegan mini marshmallows
1 cup light brown sugar/ vegan white sugar
1/2 cup of coconut oil, melted
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup non-dairy milk
1. Line two cookie sheets and preheat oven to 375ºF/190°C/Gas mark 5.
2. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cream of tartar, baking powder and baking soda. Stir in the salt, chocolate chips, corn flakes and marshmallows.
3. In a smaller bowl, stir together the melted coconut oil, milk, sugar and vanilla extract and stir well.
4. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir until everything is incorporated nicely.
5. Using your hands, roll the dough into golf-ball sized pieces and flatten. Place 1.5 inches apart on the cookie sheets.
6. Place on the middle shelf of the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes until the edges become a little firm and golden. They should still be mostly soft though.
7. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the cookie sheet for a few minutes until the cookies firm up enough to transfer them to a wire rack. Then let them cool a little further before tucking in. That marshmallow goo is hot!